8.20.2009

Seattle Cont.

The next day we woke up and headed straight for Pike's Place Market. On our way there we ran into this guy: I lived there when he was installed and remember there being some controversy... sad that it's been up for 17 yrs and this was my first time seeing it! (at least that I can remember!)

Pike's Place was crowded like it always is, but we found an awesome parking spot. It was just down this street. Anyone who's been to Pike's Place knows what a feat that was!

We stopped by the famous Pike's Place Fish Market, where they throw the fish around, unfortunately, no one was buying any at the moment. I almost did, just so the kids could see it, but then thought it might not keep so well on the car ride home! ;)

The kids got to put money in the giant piggy bank named Rachel. All these years I knew about the pig, but never knew she was a functioning piggy bank, smart move Pike's Place! (She brings in between $6,000 - $9,000 in change a year!) I'm now going to go sculpt a piggy bank for my front yard. ;)



By far my favorite part of Pike's Place are the miles of flower shops! Walls just lined with Peonies, it was gorgeous! It's moments like these that I really wish I could smell. :)
Bouquets were only $5!!!!! I would have bought them all if I could.Everything was so beautifully displayed, I wish I could get my grocer to do this! (I'd probably end up buying a lot more produce too!) We went by one of my favorite places when I was younger, but didn't take the kids in, I'm sure it would have freaked them out a bit... they have mummys on display. (I think one's actually a petrified man, I can't remember...)
As soon as I saw this I knew we were close to the needle, this was always what I kept a look out for as a child. (This and the "Toe Truck" so funny)


We stopped at the Port of Seattle, where some of the boats from Deadliest Catch will dock. (none were there at the time, we checked!)
We walked the piers a bit with the kids. We saw a lot of interesting boats and people. This was one of my favorite boats, I just imagined some big burly, hairy man sitting there totally engrossed in the Stephanie Meyer book, lol.

We stopped and had lunch at Little Chinooks. It. was. so. good.

We had fish n chips made with Salmon! If you're in the neighborhood, you've gotta try this!



Our next stop was my Aunt Wendy's house. I hadn't seen her in 5 yrs, so I was excited to visit. Too bad we were lost. We called my sister Dani and had her talk us through it, so we were trying to figure out where we were so that she could figure out where we needed to go and we were moving at the time, so it was all a little stressful. We were already all laughing because of the situation when Daniel yelled from the back, "I have to go potty right now right now right now!" Usually when he tells me he has to go to the bathroom we've got at least 20 mins before it turns serious, but not this time. Within a minute it turned catastrophic and lets just say he was soaked! I don't have a clue as to why we found it funny, but we laughed the whole way to Wendy's. (I was very thankful that I'd packed extra clothes and that we had wet wipes and Clorox wipes) Once he was all cleaned up we joined everyone else. We were so happy when we saw that our Uncle Mike was there to and when Aunt Laurie showed up. Aunt Wendy was just so great with the kids, taking them all over her yard (it was so gorgeous, she obviously inherited my Grandfather's green thumb) and letting them pick some of her flowers. The kids loved her.


She even let them plant a flower. (I loved this, the kids were none the wiser)

While they were all in the garden we got to sit and chat with my uncle Mike. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time. It was so much fun. My uncle Mike is so much like my father that it's a bit crazy. (I told him that he's my Dad with no censor, and I think it's true;) ) I snapped this picture for my folks. They all say "Hi!"

(he he, Nicole buckled and bought one of the bouquets at pike's place, I was jealous, and I "got" to carry it all the way home)
This next picture is where my parents lived for a while. (There was a house there then ;) ) So weird to me that it's a public park now! It was beautiful then and it's beautiful now.
On our way home we were greeted by this scene. It's enough to make me want to move back.

5 comments:

The Arizona Leavitt's

What a fun summer! Are you home now? It feels like forever since I've seen you.

Savannah

Sounds like fun. I love the last picture!

Trinette Hayslip

Man, I sure miss that silly elephant and the "Toe" Truck!

Washington Hills

Oh, Suz! You posted EVERYTHING that I love about Seattle. Dave is taking me to see Wicked on September 2, and I'm only SLIGHTLY ecstatic about it.

heather

The flowers at Pike's Place are my favorite part too!! Oh I just love all of these WA pictures!! Yay!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails